Ontario Youth Segregation Class Action

Important Dates



August 26, 2022

Claims Deadline


October 14, 2021

Settlement Approved


October 14, 2021

Settlement Approval Hearing


October 7, 2021

Deadline for Submitting an

Objection or Statement of Support

1. How do I file a claim?


A settlement in this class action was approved by the Superior Court of Justice on October 14, 2021. A copy of the Settlement Agreement and other related documentation is available by clicking here.


The Settlement includes all persons who, while under the age of 18, were placed in segregation for more than 6 hours between April 1, 2004 and December 17, 2018 at the following Ontario Youth detention facilities:


  • Bluewater Youth Centre,
  • Brookside Youth Centre;
  • Cecil Facer Youth Centre;
  • Donald Doucet Youth Centre;
  • Invictus Youth Centre;
  • Justice Ronald Lester Youth Centre;
  • Roy McMurtry Youth Centre;
  • Sprucedale Youth Centre;
  • Toronto Youth Assessment Centre.


The settlement does not include (i) individuals who were segregated by reason of lock-down at a Youth Justice Facility; or (ii) the routine locking of youth in their rooms as authorized by statute.


You may only make a claim for compensation if you were isolated or segregated at one of the above facilities during the period between April 1, 2004 and December 17, 2018.


You are excluded from this Settlement if you previously and validly opted out of this Action in writing; or, if you previously settled a claim against the Province of Ontario or executed a release in favour of the Province of Ontario in relation to any matters that are the subject of this Action.


The period to make claims for compensation under the Settlement is now open and will run until August 26, 2022.


If you wish to submit a claim for money, you will need to fully complete a Claim Form and submit the completed form, and all required supporting documentation to the Claims Administrator no later than August 26, 2022, in one of the following three (3) ways:


1. Email: info@youthsegregationclassaction.ca




2. Fax: 1-866-262-0816




3. Mail: to the following address listed below:


Epiq Class Action Services Canada Inc.

Attention: Ontario Youth Segregation Class Action Administrator

PO Box 507 STN B

Ottawa, ON

K1P 5P6


Click here to download the Claim Form.


2. I need help filling out my claim form.


Please read the Claim Form carefully. Ask for help if you do not understand. You can ask a trusted support person for help.  You can contact Class Counsel for help with the Claim Form:


Koskie Minsky LLP

20 Queen St. West, Suite 900 Box 52

Toronto, ON

M5H 3R3

Email: youthconfinementclassaction@kmlaw.ca

Toll-Free Tel: 1-844-819-8501


Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP

1561 Ouellette Avenue

Windsor, ON

N8X 1K5

Email: youthconfinement@strosbergco.com

Toll-Free Tel: 1-866-229-5323, ext. 296



3. What documentation must I submit with the Claim Form?


To submit a claim for money under the Settlement, you will need to provide the following information and supporting documents:


  1. Identity Document: You will need to provide a document that proves your identity and date of birth (e.g., birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, or other official Government-issued identification).

  2. Claim Form: You will need to provide a written statement that describes the events surrounding each placement in Youth Segregation and the justification for each placement, as told to you at the time. You will also have to describe how long you were kept in Youth Segregation and how many times you were placed in Youth Segregation.

  3. Consent: You will need to read and sign the Consent included with the Claim Form to give permission for your relevant Youth Records to be obtained in relation to your Claim Form.


The Claim Form provides instructions as to what supporting documentation is required in respect of each compensation Category. Please read the Claim Form carefully to understand what documentation is required and keep a copy of your Claim Form and Consent for your records once completed.


4. Who will be told about what I'm writing in my claim?


All information you submit is confidential and will only be used for the claims process.


5. Can I submit more than one Claim?


You can submit more than one Claim if you experienced more than one Youth Segregation placement. You cannot submit more than one Claim for each Youth Segregation Placement.


If more than one Claim Form and Consent is submitted in respect of the same Youth Segregation placement, the Claims Administrator or the Claims Adjudicator will treat all such Claim Forms and Consents as one Claim.


If a Claim Form and Consent makes reference to more than one Youth Segregation placement,

then the Claims Administrator or the Claims Adjudicator will treat the Claim Form and

Consent as containing multiple Claims without the need for you to submit separate

Claim Forms and Consents for each placement.


6. Are you a guardian making a claim on behalf of someone else?


Please use the name of the Class Member on whose behalf you are making the Claim to fill in the form.


You will need to set out the basis for your legal authority to act on behalf of the individual or the individual's estate in respect of their financial affairs, as well as attach copies of all documents setting out this authority.





Need Help?